What we do
The Governing Body at St. John’s currently consists of parent governors (who have children at the School), staff governors and foundation governors. Foundation governors have to meet criteria laid down by the Diocese, above all being good practicing Catholics.
The Governing Body has three basic functions:
- to provide strategic direction for the school
- to act as a critical friend to the headteacher, who is responsible for the leadership and management of the school
- to ensure accountability
Governors attend a full Governing Body meeting twice a term, and also attend one of the two sub-committees; the Teaching and Learning committee and the Resources committee, which meet once a term. Governors will also be linked with a particular curriculum subject or statutory area.
The Governing Body has a very important role to play in the life of the school. It:
- is accountable for the performance of the school to parents and the wider community
- plans the school’s future direction
- is involved in selection and recruitment of senior staff, including the headteacher
- makes decisions on the school’s budget and staffing
- makes sure the national curriculum is taught
- decides how the school can encourage pupil’s spiritual, moral and social development
- makes sure the school provides for all its pupils, including those with special needs
Who we are
|Name||Category||Committee||Area of Responsibility||Register of Interests|
|Mrs. Deborah Lodge||Chair of the Governing Board||
Teaching and Learning,
Finance & Premises
|SEND, Pupil Premium, Safeguarding, Health and Safety, Computing, History||N/A|
|Mr. Michael Wadood||Foundation||Finance & Premises||MFL (French), Geography, Physical Education||N/A|
|Mrs. Victoria Seed||Foundation||Teaching and Learning||GDPR , English (Reading, Writing, Phonics), Music||N/A|
|Fr. Denis Sarsfield||Foundation||Teaching and Learning||RE, PSHCE||N/A|
|Mr. Alex Greenwood||Parent||Teaching and Learning||Music and PE||N/A|
|Mrs. Veronica King||Foundation||Teaching and Learning||N/A|
|Mrs. Janet Grove||Foundation||Teaching and Learning||EYFS||N/A|
|Mrs. Lisa McCole||Parent||Finance & Premises||Maths||N/A|
|Mr. Alex Robinson||Teacher||Teaching and Learning||N/A||-|
|Mr. Thomas Timson||Head Teacher||
Teaching and Learning,
Finance & Resources
|Mrs. Madeline Hyles||Clerk to the Governors||-||-||N/A|
Mr Steve Baker
Mrs Hannah Wright
VACANCY FOR FOUNDATION GOVERNOR
We are looking to expand the number of Foundation school governors supporting the school. This is a great opportunity for a pro-active and community-minded individual to contribute to the continued development and improvement of the school. Foundation governors preserve and develop the Catholic character of the school.
Governor training is provided on the core elements of the role which are:
- ensuring there is clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils and the performance management of staff;
- overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent; and
- ensuring the voices of stakeholders are heard.
If you are interested in finding out more about this opportunity please email the Chair of Governors, Deborah Lodge at firstname.lastname@example.org with “New Governors” in the subject.
Our Parent Governor roles are all currently filled but if you know of someone else who may be interested please share this with them.
If you would like to contact the Governing Body, please send all correspondence to:
Mrs D Lodge.
c/o St. John’s Catholic Primary School