In April 2013, the Department for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport announced new funding of £150 million to support the delivery of PE and school sport. We are pleased that funding continues to be allocated to all state maintained secondary, primary, middle and special schools (including non-maintained special schools) academies and pupil referral units with primary aged pupils for the period September 2018 to 31st August 2019. This academic year St. John’s will be receiving a total of £17,760.
This year, St. John’s continues to use this fund to support the employment a Specialist Sports Teacher, Mr Baker, to further improve the quality of PE and Sport provision in the following ways:
- Provide expert PE teaching to every class, twice a week.
- Provide opportunities through staff meetings to experience various sports
- Provide opportunities for staff development and training in PE through observation, team teaching and INSET.
- Co-ordinate the school participation in, and support at, regular sporting tournaments, festivals and competitions for pupils across the school. This school year teams of children will be taking part in events every single month, including:-
- Football Tournaments
- Tag Rugby Festivals
- North Herts Cross Country event
- Netball Festivals
- Swimming Lessons and Swimming Gala
- Rapid Fire Cricket events, Girls only Cricket and Cricket Coaching
- Badminton Coaching and Badminton Club
- Basketball Tournaments
- Wheelchair Basketball events – with the Hertfordshire Disability Group
- Sports Hall Athletics
- Speed Stacking
- KS1 Sports Festival
- KS1 Gym Competition
- Quick Sticks Hockey
- Tri Golf Tournament
- Tennis Tournaments
- Ridlins Athletics – District Sports.
- Further increase extra-curricular clubs for all children.
- Support the delivery of high quality coaching and PE and sport.
- Support young Play Leaders.
- Provide an aspirational role model for pupils.
It is our aim to continue developing this work into the next academic year – 2019 to 2020 – we hope that a similar fund will be allocated to St. John’s.